In France there has been a dramatic development in the case surrounding the kidnapping of Italian industrialist Luchino Revelli-Beaumont, who has been missing for over two months.
GV: block of flats where Luchino Revelli Beaumont lives.
CU: street sign 'Rue de La Pompe'
MVs: newsmen outside in street (5 shots)
SV AND CU: police guarding flat. (2 shots)
SV: Aristy (moustache in white coat) escorted down stairs by police and cameramen. (2 shots)
GV: office of examining magistrate.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: In France there has been a dramatic development in the case surrounding the kidnapping of Italian industrialist Luchino Revelli-Beaumont, who has been missing for over two months. on Thursday (16 June) police charged former Dominican ambassador Hector Aristy with kidnapping after he had been detained for questioning about his role as a mediator between the industrialist's family and the kidnappers.
Before his arrest Senor Aristy had scarcely left Signora Revelli-Beaumont's side since her husband was bundled into a car by four armed men. A self-styled revolutionary group demanded a ransom of 30 million dollars, but the Fiat car company, for whom Signor Revelli-Beaumont worked, refused to pay.
SYNOPSIS: Signor Revelli-Beaumont was abducted outside his home in the Rue de la Pompe in Paris on the 13th of April. Since then there has been a heavy police guard on the building and the kidnappers have set four deadlines at various times for killing the industrialist unless they were paid a ransom. On Thursday Police Commissioner Pierre Ottavioli said that he had proof that Signor Revelli-Beaumont was still alive on Wednesday (15 June).
Senor Aristy was charged with illegal detention and kidnapping by an examining magistrate shortly before a 48-hour time limit for police detention without charges expired. Later one of his business associates, Miguel Garrido Alvarez, was released and police said he would appear before the examining magistrate as a witness. Commissioner Ottavioli said on Wednesday that there was no longer any deadline or contact with the kidnappers.