In the United States, more than eighty people died and over five hundred people were injured when fire swept through the 26-storey MGM Grand hotel in Las Vegas on Friday (21 November).
GV & SV Hotel on fire, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. (2 SHOTS)
SV People being helped out of hotel.
SCU Guest speaking in English.
SV Hotel and guests descending on fire ladders, ropers and window washing hoist. (3 SHOTS)
SV PAN People being brought out on stretcher.
SV Man talking to guests on megaphone.
GV Hotel on fire with helicopter hovering overhead. (2 SHOTS)
SV PAN & GV People walking out of hotel and injured being put on stretcher. (3 SHOTS)
SCU Fire Chief Roy Parish.
SV PULL BACK Flamingo hotel.
LV MGM hotel on fire.
SCU Man talking on megaphone as guests queue up to get belongings. (3 SHOTS)
SV Helicopter airlifting body and body being carried out on stretcher. (2 SHOTS)
TRANSCRIPTS: MATSON: "The fire which began at 7.15 am Pacific standard time spread quickly through the lower floors of the MGM Grand engulfing the 26-storey tower of the hotel in a billowing choking cloud of smoke. In addition to the dozens killed, hundreds of others were injured during the two hours it took firemen to control the blaze. Most guests said they had no warning of the danger. No one called their rooms and they heard no alarms."
GUEST: "How come there's no fire alarm in the MGM? I was on the twelfth floor and there's no alarm."
MATSON: "When they did finally awake and realise what was happening, many guests began breaking out the windows in their rooms, trying to get some air they could breathe. Fire department ladders were only long enough to reach the lower floors, so people began devising their own scheme. Some slid down ropes, other made ladders out of bed sheets. A few guests were even rescued by the hotel's window washing platform. At least one person was killed trying to jump to safety and the fire department urged people to stay in their rooms until help arrived."
FIREMAN: "Stay in the building, the firemen will reach you."
MATSON: "About a thousand persons managed to climb to the roof of the MGM. Numerous helicopters were used to execute their safe evacuation. The suffocating smoke seemed to be the most serious problem for those trapped in their rooms. After they escaped people talked of having stuffed towels and mattresses against the doors to keep the smoke out. Fire officials say it was one of the worst hotel fires ever in the United Stats. Authorities are still searching through the rooms looking for the bodies and possibly more victims.
"Fire Chief Roy Parish says hotel owners were informed of a new code and he said a handful of hotels, including the nearby Flamingo, were outfitted with modern fire systems. Spokesman for the MGM Grand say they were never contacted."
FIREMAN: "We are making progress, so everybody just be patient and try to maintain your line. It's going to take a while."
STERNOFF: "Hotel guests, survivors of the fire, lined up outside the hotel early today and waited to go inside to search for their belongings. They were allowed in and the process took hours.
"Another fire victim was located this morning, the 83rd. The body was airlifted from the roof of the hotel. Firemen believe there may be more bodies in the hotel and they are searching the hotel one room at a time. Bill Sternoff, NBC News, Las Vegas."
THERE'S NO CONTINUATION...
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: In the United States, more than eighty people died and over five hundred people were injured when fire swept through the 26-storey MGM Grand hotel in Las Vegas on Friday (21 November). Many of the victims died of suffocation as smoke filled the hotel, but fifteen helicopters rescued guests from the hotel roof. The cause of the fire has not yet been ascertained. The NBC's Boyd Matson and Bill Sternoff report.