French and Libyan forces completed their withdrawal from Chad on November 8 in accordance with an agreement signed last September.
1. GV/SVs Zairan troops loading aircraft (4 shots) 0.21
2. SV/GV French troops awaiting departure at airport (2 shots) 0.29
3. GV/SVs Zairan troops ready to embark (7 shots) 1.05
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: N'DJAMENA, CHAD
French and Libyan forces completed their withdrawal from Chad on November 8 in accordance with an agreement signed last September. A brief statement issued in Paris on November 10 gave no further details, but a separate communique from the French Defence Ministry said a joint Franco-Libyan committee supervising the pullout had completed its task. The mutual disengagement accord announced on September 17 involved 3,200 French troops sent to Chad in August last year to support President Hissene Habre, plus an estimated 5,000 Libyans backing rebel leader Goukouni Oueddei. Zaire, which also backed Habre with 2,500 soldiers, completed an airlift of its last 1,000 men. The presence of French troops produced a stalemate in Chad's 20-year-old civil war, but failed to get the two sides to negotiate a peaceful settlement. With no political agreement in sight, diplomats in the capital N'Djamena fear renewed fighting. The French government announced it would be providing more than 300 million Francs (33 million US dollars) in development aid to Chad next year. French Overseas Cooperation and Development Minister Christian Nucci has gone to N'Djamena to review the aid programme. Military sources said about 100 French soldiers were remaining in the land-locked country under bilateral technical assistance accords. About 1,000 more were being re-deployed from Chad to French bases in the neighbouring Central African Republic.
Source: REUTERS - BOURMA ALI