INTRODUCTION: The banned African National Congress (ANC) has claimed responsibility for three bomb and grenade attacks in South Africa on Sunday (24 May).
GV PAN Fort Jackson police station near East London. CU sign on door saying "Charge Office" (2 shots)
SV INTERIOR Bomb damage (5 shots)
SV PULL BACK TO GV Damaged railway line, Durban. CUs broken rails (3 shots)
SV Plainclothes police examining evidence and putting it into plastic bag. SV plain-clothes policeman taking notes (2 shots)
SV Plainclothes police examining evidence and putting it into plastic bag. SV plainclothes policeman taking notes (2 shots)
GV Plainclothes policemen taking measurements
CU & SV Railway worker undoing pin of fishplate. SV Railway workers working on line. CU Line being welded (4 shots)
GV PAN & AV Queue of cars in traffic jam caused by closure of railway line (2 shots)
GV Soweto. Uniformed security reinforcements. GV plainclothes tracker with dogs (2 shots)
GV Uniformed police and dogs search through long grass
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: INTRODUCTION: The banned African National Congress (ANC) has claimed responsibility for three bomb and grenade attacks in South Africa on Sunday (24 May). They were timed to coincide with celebrations marking the 20th anniversary of the declaration of the Republic.
SYNOPSIS: The police station at Fort Jackson in the eastern port of East London was attacked in the early hours.
Opponents of the apartheid regime assaulted the building with AK 47 rifles and grenades. They reportedly fled to a black township just over the border in the Ciskei, which is scheduled to become South Africa's next independent black homeland in December. They appear to have clashed with security forces as they fled. A patrol was later involved in shootout with men armed with AK 47s on the road between East London and Ciskei.
At the same time a bomb destroyed part of a railway track near Isingo on the busy commuter line from Umlazi to Durban.
Police were soon on hand to search the area. Later they announced that two limpet mines had caused the damage, and they said they had found another eight on the track which had failed to explode. They said bombs which did go off were "not very big".
The bombs had destroyed only one metre(3 feet) of track and the line was soon reopened. But security forces are concerned that this may only be the beginning of the ANC's campaign against the Republic's independence celebrations, which read their climax on Sunday (31 May).
Another bomb attack, this time on the railway line linking the black township of Soweto to Johannesburg, did cause havoc as commuters took to their cars in their attempts to get to work on time.
Despite intensive police efforts, no arrests had been made by the end of the following day. The line was out of action for five hours and another bomb found later in the same area was defused. All three attacks followed calls by the ANC for black workers to stop work for the duration of the independence celebrations.