Today (July 12, 1968), the P5M-2 "Marlin" twin-engine seaplane made its final flight for the U.
Sequences show the P5M-2 "Marlin" flying overhead, landing and the turnover ceremony.
NOTE TO EDITORS: 200' 16mm color original unprocessed (type EF 7242) released to ABC-TV for servicing TV and theatrical pool members. Color original to be forwarded to Deluxe Laboratories 850 Tenth Avenue, New York City, within 72 hours.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Today (July 12, 1968), the P5M-2 "Marlin" twin-engine seaplane made its final flight for the U. S. Navy. The only remaining "Marlin" in the Navy inventory was flown from San Diego, California to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station, Maryland, by a crew from the Navy's Ferry Squadron 32.
At ceremonies held at the air station, Mr. John N. Brown, a former Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Air and presently with the Smithsonian Institute, accepted the sole surviving P5M-2 aircraft from Vice Admiral Thomas F. Connolly, Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Air.
The nearly 100-foot-long anti-submarine warfare aircraft will be placed in the Smithsonian's aircraft collection as a permanent reminder of the role of the seaplane in naval air history.
The "Marlin" had been in the Navy since 1954.