In Saigon on Thursday, South Vietnamese Foreign Minister Tran Van Lam met newsmen to discuss his government's view on the latest Paris Agreement aimed at implementing the January ceasefire.
GV ext foreign ministry
Official handing out briefing sheets
Taran Van Lan arrives in hall and sits
GV conference room
Lam speaking as reporters listen
Street scenes Saigon
People reading newspapers
People listening to radios
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: In Saigon on Thursday, South Vietnamese Foreign Minister Tran Van Lam met newsmen to discuss his government's view on the latest Paris Agreement aimed at implementing the January ceasefire.
Mr. Lam said the question of North Vietnamese troops in South Vietnam had been discussed, but not solved. He added that the agreement signed between the North Vietnamese, the South Vietnamese, the Vietcong and the United States was aimed at bringing a halt to the ceasefire violations which have held up talks in Saigon since the original Paris agreement.
Mr. Lam answered questions from the press before leaving the conference. One of the main points covered was the question of American bombing over the Khmer Republic. Mr. Lam told newsmen that an agreement over the Khmer fighting had been reached between the United States and the North Vietnamese, but declined to give details.
For the civilian population of Saigon, the news from Paris was looked upon with scepticism. The daily newspapers carried most of the text agreed upon by North Vietnam's Lo Duc Tho and American Presidential advisor Kenry Kissinger. Throughout the day, radio news bulletins broadcast the details of the agreement.
There was no military activity in the streets of Saigon, although there were reports of tight security on the main roads leading into the South Vietnamese capital.