NEAR LONDON, U.K.
On May 5, 1980, twenty members of Britain's elite Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment stormed the Iranian Embassy in London to release 19 hostages held by five gunmen inside the building.
NEAR LONDON, U.K.
1. GV EXTERIOR Members of the Special Air Services (SAS) storming Iranian Embassy in London, 5 May 1980 0.18
2. GV Pinewood Studios: Men descending from helicopter on ropes and landing on top of building (3 shots) 0.44
3. GV Men descending from helicopter 0.51
4. GV & SCU Camera crew filming rescue sequence (2 shots) 1.01
5. GV Men descending from helicopters (2 shots) 1.14
6. GV Men landing from helicopters and running towards building 1.25
7. SCU PULL BACK TO SV Spectators 1.29
8. SV Actor Lewis collins in rescue reconstruction 1.36
9. SCU Actress Judith Davis 1.42
10. GV PULL BACK TO LV Actors 1.49
11. SV PAN TO Building Producer Euan Lloyd, advising actors 1.57
12. SV PAN Reporters 2.01
13. GV Actors descending wall on ropes 2.17
14. GV Reporters 2.21
15. GV PAN Building used as 'American Embassy' 2.25
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: NEAR LONDON, U.K.
On May 5, 1980, twenty members of Britain's elite Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment stormed the Iranian Embassy in London to release 19 hostages held by five gunmen inside the building. The SAS men scaled down ropes from the roof, and broke into the building after blowing a hole in the next-door building. Three of the gunmen were killed in the daring raid which excited the imagination of the public in Britain and elsewhere. Now, two years later, member of the SAS are re-enacting the rescue operation, but in different circumstances: they are launching a mock raid on a film studio building, near London, restructured to look like the American Embassy in London. They are taking part in a film entitled 'Who Dares Wins' -- the regimental motto -- inspired by the Iranian Embassy siege. Producer Euan Lloyd has engaged TV actor Lewis Collins to play the SAS captain who lead this men in an adventure in which terrorists and SAS men get embroiled in a conflict over anti-nuclear activities. Leading Australian actress Judy Davis plays the part of a girl from a privileged background who leads a militant radical group. The film demonstrates the latest anti-terrorist tactics perfected by the members of the famous SAS regiment.
Source: REUTERS LIBRARY AND WILLIAM McCONVILLE