A team of Canadian Red Cross workers has flown out of Saigon saying that their work had been blocked completely by the North Vietnamese and Vietcong representatives.
SV Red Cross man walking from hotel bedroom and down-stairs (2 shots)
SV Other Red Cross men seated in lounge waiting for bus
SV Red Cross man walking to bus
SV Group of Red Cross outside hotel
SV Red Cross men boarding bus (2 shots)
Luggage carried from bus into airport
SV Red Cross team collecting tickets (3 shots)
Initials BB/2234 RS/AS/BB/2304
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: A team of Canadian Red Cross workers has flown out of Saigon saying that their work had been blocked completely by the North Vietnamese and Vietcong representatives.
The team had spent three weeks waiting in a Saigon Hotel to inspect prisoner of war camps.
Six of the 12 man team left for Hong Kong headed by Major General Arthur Wrinch of the Canadian Red Cross.
"We have been completely blocked by the North Vietnamese and the Vietcong", said General Wrinch.
"They just did not wish to help. This work was agreed by both sides at Paris and later on in the Joint Military Commission in Saigon", he added.
"We want to have it put exactly on the record for the future that we came here immediately and we tried everything. We want it put on record who stopped us doing our job", said General Wrinch.
He did not think the team would return to South Vietnam.
The rest of the team was due to fly out on Monday.