Peace talks between North and South Yemen opened on Saturday (21 October) in Cairo...and correspondents?
GV EXT Arab League headquarters and flags flying
SV PAN INTERIOR Ministers arriving and being greeted (2 shots)
SV Ministers seated
CU ZOOM BACK TO SV Minister Saad Nofal addressing meeting (2 shots)
SV ZOOM TO CU Minister Silem Afi speaking and others listening (2 shots)
Initials BB/0132 RW/BOB/BB/0200
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Peace talks between North and South Yemen opened on Saturday (21 October) in Cairo...and correspondents said there was a mixed chance of success.
Officials of the Arab League, which brought the two sides together, said there were hopeful signs of a settlement. Political observers, however, said there ware big obstacles in the way of a lasting solution to the three year conflict.
The opening of the peace talks coincided with a statement by the North Yemeni embassy in Beirut that its aircraft had shot down two South Yemeni 'planes on Thursday when they raided two border towns, in violation of a ceasefire.
The South Yemeni Charge d'Affaires in Beirut said there had been ??? incidents along the border between the two countries in the preceding 40 hours.
SYNOPSIS: North Yemen has denied any attack, claiming that the islanders decided to break away from South Yemen. The peace talks in Cairo were organised by two Deputy Secretaries-General of the Arab League, Saad Nofal and Silem Afi.
The meeting coincided with a North Yemeni claim that it had shot down two South Yemeni aircraft which had raided border villages despite a ceasefire. A South Yemen spokesman denied there had been any hostilities in the preceding forty-eight hours.