Fifty-two people died and nearly 80 were injured when a fire wrecked the Citizen's Hall Theatre in Seoul on Saturday night (2 December).
GV NIGHT - EXTERIOR Fire burning (2 shots)
SV Water pouring down stairs littered with shoes and clothing
CU Fire pouring out of window (2 shots)
SV Crowd watching
SV Fire continues to burn
SV Premier Jong-Pil Kim talking with Home Minister at scene
SV Grief-stricken women in hospital
SV Doctor attending patient
GV DAY EXTERIOR.. fire still burning
Initials ES. 1600 ES. 1615
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Fifty-two people died and nearly 80 were injured when a fire wrecked the Citizen's Hall Theatre in Seoul on Saturday night (2 December). The tragedy occurred during a special entertainment sponsored by a television company to celebrate its eleventh anniversary. Twelve top signers were taking part in the show, put on by the Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation.
The fire broke out minutes before the end, and soon spread through the ten-storey building. Wooden sets on the stage caught fire, after a spark from an electrical fault.
Prime Minister Jong-Pil Kim personally directed rescue operations, involving 70 fire engines and more than 1,000 fire-fighters, including troops.
The city decided by pay 1.2 million Won (about 1,200 pounds sterling) to the families of each victim. Property damage was estimated at 250 million won (about 250,000 pounds sterling).
On Monday, (December 4), police arrested two technicians who they said were responsible for the fault. The men -- Young-il Lee, 35, and Kon-slk Lee, 27, face charges of causing a fire and causing deaths by negligence, with penalties totalling up to eight years imprisonment. Policy say that after the coating of a cable broke from being trodden on, the men used bare wire to link up other cables, and a short circuit occurred, causing the fatal spark.