Military authorities in Manila said on Wednesday (22 October) that 27 Filipinos will be arraigned in November for their alleged role in a plot to overthrow the government by violent means.
GV Conference banners lining street in Manila, Philippines
GV & CU EXTERIOR Convention hall with conference sign (2 shots)
LV INTERIOR President Ferdinand Marcos (nearest camera) with ASTA Chairman Joseph Stone (centre) and Philippines Tourism Minister Jose Aspiras on platform, as members take seats (2 shots)
CU Mr. Aspiras welcoming delegates
CU Mr. Aspiras speaking in English
SV Members laughing and applauding
SV EXTERIOR Hall with placard (All Congress public events cancelled) (2 shots)
SV/CV INTERIOR Bomb-damaged seats being removed (3 shots)
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Military authorities in Manila said on Wednesday (22 October) that 27 Filipinos will be arraigned in November for their alleged role in a plot to overthrow the government by violent means. The accused include active and retired members of the military and are said to belong to the Democratic Forces of the Philippines. This organisation was formed in 1977 to overthrow the martial law government of President Ferdinand Marcos. There has recently been a series of bombing attacks in Manila.
SYNOPSIS: The latest bomb explosion happened on Sunday (19 October) during a huge tourism congress in the Philippines capital. The occasion was the 50th world congress of the American Society of Travel Agents.
The guest of honour was President Marcos, seen nearest the camera. The bomb exploded later, only a few yards from the Philippines leader, and injured 20 people.
President Marcos said the bombing was an arrogant display of sheer irresponsibility which could not go unpunished. If the bombing continued he would bot lift martial law. The President had already announced he would end his eight years of emergency rule by next March if there was peace and economic stability in the country. A list of 30 people named as suspects in the bombing campaign included the veteran leader of the Opposition, Jovito Salonga.
Many of the suspects named by President Marcos are now in the United States where they lead a dissident movement aimed at over-throwing his regime. Opposition leaders Salvador laurel and Gerardo Roxas told foreign newsmen in Manila they felt the President had over-reacted in issuing the arrest orders. They said he'd done so simply because the bomb exploded in his presence.