French and Ivory Coast representatives on the 21st of December in Abidjan, the Ivory Coast capital, signed a Convention by which the Ivory Coast will receive from France non-reimbursible aid worth over 687 thousand CFA francs (one million Sterling).
GV Ministry building in Abidjan
SCU Leygues shakes hands with officials
SCU Bedie enters & shake hands
CU Picture of Houphouet-Boigny
SV Leygues & Minister Bedie sign document (6 shots)
SV Both shake hands & embrace (3 shots)
Initials SGM/1658 SGM/1649
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: French and Ivory Coast representatives on the 21st of December in Abidjan, the Ivory Coast capital, signed a Convention by which the Ivory Coast will receive from France non-reimbursible aid worth over 687 thousand CFA francs (one million Sterling).
The aid will be used in a number of development projects, among them educational television, and the development of satellite communications.
SYNOPSIS: In the Ivory Coast capital of Abidjan last Tuesday representatives of France and the Ivory Coast signed Convention by which France is to contribute over 687 thousand CFA frances (about GBP1 million sterling) to the Ivory Coast for various development projects, among them education by television, and the development of satellite communications. The aid is non-reimbursible.
The improvement of satellite communications could make possible the very necessary relays sought between the Ivory Coast and the neighbouring countries of the "Conseil de L'Ententa", Mali and Liberia. The men who signed the aid agreement were M. Jacques Raphael-Leygues, French ambassador in the Ivory Coast, and M. Henri Konan Bedie, Economics and Finance Minister. Also present at the signing were M. Souleymans Sissoko, Posts and Telegraph Minister of the Ivory Coast, Secretary of State for the Budget Mr Abdoulaye Kone, and learning officials. Part of this latest aid will be used to complete production facilities at the Bouake educational television centre and to improve the network in the primary schools.