For health reasons, the Prime Minister, Abdul Karim Kassem, was not able to participate in the opening of the first Czech.
1. Close-shot pictures of Abdul Karim Kassem, the Prime Minister, and picture of Czech. Republic President Mr. Antonin Novotny.
2. Ext. L.S. of the guests gathered in front of the Exhibition building just before the opening.
3. " M.S. Mr. Brabec giving his speech.
4. " M.S. Minister of Interior of Iraq on the left, and Minister of Finance of the right. (both in civilian dresses).
5. " M.S. Minister of Health, Dr. Mohammed Al-Shawaf on the left, Sayid Abdul Latif Al-Shawaf, Minister of Trade, in the middle and Sayid Abdul Latif Al-Shawaf on the right. They are listening to the speech.
6. " L.S. Mr. Brabec still giving his speech, with others around him.
7. " M.S. Sayid Abdul Latif giving his speech.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: For health reasons, the Prime Minister, Abdul Karim Kassem, was not able to participate in the opening of the first Czech. Industrial Fair, out he nominated the Minister of Trade, Abdul Latif Al-Shawaf, to represent him at the opening of the Exhibition.
The Exhibition was opened at 5.00 p.m. with speech from Mr. Ladislav Brabec, the Czech. Minister of Internal Trade and leader of his Government's delegation and later followed by a speech from Sayid Abdul Latif Al-Shawaf, the Minister of Trade for Iraq.
Among the hundreds who were invited for the opening of the Exhibition were members of the Diplomatic Corps, Ministers, traders, newspaper men and other Government officials of Iraq.
After the tour of the Exhibition, five beautiful Czech. ladies displayed the latest Czech. fashions.
No flags, no balloons and no peace doves to inaugurate the opening, but plenty of food and drinks for everybody.