United States Secretary of State William Rogers hold his first news conference for several months on Monday (20 August) in the State Department Building in Washington.
GVs & SVs Rogers at news conference (3 shots)
SCU Rogers speaking
NEWSREADER VOICE OVER: "Secretary Rogers took a surprisingly optimistic view of the Vietnam situation. The question was, are North Vietnam and the Viet Cong living up to their ceasefire agreement.
ROGERS: Well, obviously there ae some areas where the agreement is not being implemented as we would like to have it implemented. On the other hand, there are areas where it seems to be succeeding. And I think it is succeeding somewhat as one might have expected at the time we signed the agreement. We said at that time that we expected that there would be problems arising and that there would be violations, but, on the whole, I think the fact that the American forces have been withdrawn from Indo-China, that the United States has pulled out of all combat activity in that area, that our POWs have been returned, that the ceasefire violations have continued to be reduced, and that we have what appears to be a ceasefire that's working at last are all very encouraging signs."
Initials SGM/2115 SGM/2121
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: United States Secretary of State William Rogers hold his first news conference for several months on Monday (20 August) in the State Department Building in Washington.
He replied to correspondents' questions on a number of topics, among them the ceasefire in Vietnam. His optimism on this subject surprised some reporters.
Mr. Rogers also announced the U.S. had been officially informed that Iran had agreed to join the international Commission for Control and Supervision (ICCS) in Vietnam, replacing Canada, which withdrew its contingent last month.
Mr. Rogers said he was generally encouraged with progress towards peace in South Vietnam. He maintained the U.S. had not been involved in any direct negotiations with leaders of the Khmer Republic since the August 15th bombing halt. But he added that the U.S. was engaged in active diplomatic contacts with parties interested in the situation.