England (playing in white shorts) boosted their chances of qualifying for the European Soccer Championship to be held next year by beating Hungary 2-0 April 27.
(England in white)
1. GV England attacking. Forward Luther Blissett scoring disallowed goal, crowd cheering. (2 SHOTS) 0.23
2. GV Hungarian forward Gyula Kajszan attacking; England's keeper Peter Shilton saves shot. 0.39
3. GV Peter Withe (No. 9) fouled by Hungary's No. 7, Jozsef Varga. 0.53
4. GV Peter Withe passes towards Hungarian goal, Trevor Francis scoring. 1.09
5. GV Scoreboard. 1.12
6. GV Luther Blissett's shot hitting the bar. 1.18
7. GV Crowd watching. 1.20
8. GV Luther Blissett dribbles into the hungarian box, fouled by goalkeeper. 1.32
9. GV Sammy Lee (No. 11) passing to Peter Withe; Withe scoring second goal. 2.00
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: WEMBLEY, ENGLAND
England (playing in white shorts) boosted their chances of qualifying for the European Soccer Championship to be held next year by beating Hungary 2-0 April 27. The match was played at London's Wembley stadium before a crowd of 55,000. After 13 minutes, England's Luther Blissett put the ball in the net, but the goal was disallowed by the referee for foul play. A few minutes later, England's goalkeeper, Peter Shilton, had to save a shot from the Hungarian forward Gyula Kajszan, who cut through the English defence. But relief for English fans came in the 32nd minute, when England's Trevor Francis scored the first goal by heading in a free-kick from Gordan Cowans. England's victory was sealed in the 70th minute, when Peter Withe defeated the Hungarian keeper with a hard-hit shot from the left-hand corner of the box. The victory put England in a good position in the Group Three table of the European Championship Qualifications; three points ahead of Denmark and four points ahead of Hungary. Only one team from this five-team group will qualify for the final round of the championships.
Source: REUTERS - KEN HARDING