At the United Nations on Saturday (6 May) the Security Council unanimously adopted a six part resolution condemning South Africa's attack inside the People's Republic of Angola.
SV: Angola permanent representative Elisio de Figueiredo speaking in English.
GV: Security Council meeting in progress
SV: SWAPO leader Sam Nujoma speaking in English.
SV: President of Security Council Rueben Carpio-Castillo speaking as votes are given.
SV PAN: U.N. members voting.
FIGUEIREDO: "On May fourth at 6 a.m. the South African airforce, based in illegally occupied territory of Namibia began an invasion and an aerial bombardment of a Namibian refugee camp in Angola in the vicinity of Cassinga, some 250 kilometres inside the sovereign borders of the People's Republic of Angola in the province of Cunene. The bombing was followed by a drop of parachute troops which was accompanied by ground support aircraft. This continued through Thursday and the latest news from my country is that the South African troops are still inside Angola giving a lie to the myth of a limited operation as claimed by the racist, fascist minority government in Pretoria.
NUJOMA:"In the light of the ongoing massacres, arrests, detentions and harassment of Namibian people as well as the provocative invasion of the People's Republic of Angola, SWAPO calls for the imposition of mandatory economic sanctions, comprehensive oil and arms embargo provided for under chapter seven of the charter."
The five western powers, France, The United Kingdom, the United States, Germany and Canada, who draw up the western plan for Namibian independence, at the weekend said the South African action underlined the urgent need for independence as demanded by repeated United Nation's resolutions. In the only official South African statement since the attack, the Foreign Minister Mr Pik Botha defended the attack by an estimated 300 to 700 troops as an action against "terrorists who threatened, killed and intimidated the people of South West Africa (Namibia)" He said: "If the Western powers expect South Africa to stand by idly while terrorists are allowed free rein to kill and abduct people, they would, in effect, act contrary to their own proposals which clearly and categorically provide for a comprehensive cessation of violence."
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: At the United Nations on Saturday (6 May) the Security Council unanimously adopted a six part resolution condemning South Africa's attack inside the People's Republic of Angola. The attack on a settlement near the town of Cassinga in south Angola last week was, says South Africa, a spontaneous action to destroy bases there being used by the South West African People's Organisation, SWAPO, for guerrilla attacks across the border into the disputed state of Namibia (South West Africa). SWAPO claims that more than 500 Namibians, mainly women and children, were killed int he raid, which hit what they described as a "Kindergarten-style settlement" guarded by only a few SWAPO guerrillas. After the Security Council's debate, the five western powers which have drawn up a plan for Namibia independence, joined the condemnation of the attack. South Africa says that the action was a limited one, but in the Security Council debate the Angolan Ambassador Mr Elisio de Figueiredo said South African troops were still in his country.
SYNOPSIS: SWAPO President Mr Sam Nujoma called for more than a resolution condemning South Africa's action.
The Security Council, in its resolution, condemned the invasion by the "racist" regime of South Africa which, it said, was a flagrant violation of Angolan sovereignty. It also condemned the use of Namibia as a springboard for the attack and demanded immediate and unconditional withdrawal of all South African forces. It also reaffirmed its support for the Namibian people's struggle for freedom and independence and demanded that South Africa end its "illegal" occupation of Namibia. It agreed to meet again, if necessary, to consider more effective measures against South Africa.