Twelve years ago the Cathedral of St. Stephen in Vienna was partially destroyed by fire?
Pictures by daylight shows the St. Stephans Cathedral and around the corner the "PUMMERIN" ready on a big car for moving into the church. Above the bell the new build up north-tower, the old place of the bell. On the end of the reel two pictures, 1st, the destroid bell 1945 and 2nd, the destroid north-tower were the bell was hanged up.
Thousands of Viennes people waiting to see Pummerin, After a speaker of archbishop Dr. Konig the big lorry car moved with the bell into the cathedral. Close up of seating man, Austrian federal President Dr. Scharf, two men, left Sir G. Wallinger the british ambassador in Austria and Archbishop Delipionis.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Twelve years ago the Cathedral of St. Stephen in Vienna was partially destroyed by fire and the great Pummerin bell was lost to the flames. The Cathedral itself has gradually been restored since then but only now has the giant bell been replaced.
Made in 1951 near St. Florian, the new Pummerin, which weighs about 22 tons, has finally been brought to the Cathedral. Before it could be transported to the North Tower, where the bell will hang, workmen had to move parts of the entrance gates.
The history of the Pummerin bell dates back to 1683 when Vienna was liberated from a Turkish siege. The fist Pummerin was then made from the metal of captured guns. That one last rang in 1937.
Thousands of Viennese thronged the streets for the arrival of the latest Pummerin which was received by Archbishop Konig. Among the notaries present were Dr. Scharf, Austrian Federal President, the British Ambassador, Sir G. Wallinger and Archbishop Delipionis.