The Chadian President Hissene Habre arrived in the northern Nigerian city of Kaduna on October 13 for talks with the Nigerian leader, Shehu Shagari.
1. GV President Shehu Shagari of Nigeria and Hissene Habre of Chad (centre of group) standing talking to officials 0.13
2. SV Kaduna Airport sign 0.16
3. GV PAN Hissene Habre inspecting guard of honour (2 shots) 0.48
4. SV President Shagari watching 0.53
5. SV PAN Hissene Habre boarding aircraft 1.05
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: KADUNA, NIGERIA
The Chadian President Hissene Habre arrived in the northern Nigerian city of Kaduna on October 13 for talks with the Nigerian leader, Shehu Shagari. Mr. Habre was expected to ask Nigeria for considerable aid in the reconstruction of Chad which is recovering after two years of civil war. Nigerian forces are among those stationed in Chad in a peacekeeping capacity. The visit to Nigeria is designed to strengthen the growing ties between the two countries, on a diplomatic and economic basis. The two countries share a common frontier and President Shagari has vowed to "extend the hand of friendship" to Chad and help in its recovery.
Source: REUTERS - BISI OPABISI