Lieutenant William Calley, who last week was convicted of the My Lai "massacre" three years ago in South Vietnam and sentenced to life imprisonment with hard labour, has been allowed to live meantime in his own quarters.
MS Military Policeman guarding Calley's bungalow.
MS Calley's girlfriend arriving with groceries.
MS Mailman delivering mail.
MCS Col Henderson arriving at Fort Meade for enquiry.
LS Ditto reverse angle.
CU Col. Henderson speaking
TRANSCRIPT: (SEQ. 6): (HENDERSON): The reaction of the American public as the result of the Calley thing, is an indication of the American people's interest in fair play. I was told that nothing happened at My Lai during my enquiry into it, that there were no....I wasn't asked to look into atrocities, I was looking into wild firing and the incident of one individual firing on what appeared to be a wounded female. Those were the instances I looked into....those were the instances that I absolved and said did not happen."
Initials OS/156 VS/2.23
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Lieutenant William Calley, who last week was convicted of the My Lai "massacre" three years ago in South Vietnam and sentenced to life imprisonment with hard labour, has been allowed to live meantime in his own quarters. This follows an order from President Nixon which comes after widespread protests at Calley's sentence. Calley's bungalow is under military police guard, but he has been allowed visitors.
Colonel Oran Henderson, the highest-ranking officer to face trial in connection with the massacre, attended a pre-trial hearing at Fort Meade on Friday (2 April). Outside the courtroom he was questioned by reporters and said he didn't feel like a scapegoat, but had been hurt by doubts.