DUNKIRK... a name inscribed in the annals of military history as the site of one?
CU PAN.. barbed wire - all that is left of the invasion
GV Deserted beach-head
PAN SHOT.. DITTO
SV Visitors to Dunkirk
GV Buildings on seafront
TRAVEL SHOT.. along seafront
PANORAMIC VIEW..PAN the town of Dunkirk
GV Main street
GV New buildings under construction
ANGLE SHOT.. flags out to commemorate invasion
GV Wrecked building near docks
SV PAN.. from debris to new offices under construction
CU PAN.. along offices
GV New building
SV Visitors walk through street
GV People leaving church
CU Sign 'Dunkirk Memorial'
GV Dunkirk Memorial
GV War graves
TRAVEL SHOT. DITTO
CU Headstone- a soldier of the 1939-1945 war
SV and CU.. Canadian grave with maple leaf
CU Canadian merchant emblem
SCU Grave with fresh flowers
GV PAN.. over graves
CU Cross on monument
GV Monument and graves
FOR FILM OF THE 1940 EVACUATION PLEASE REFER PROD. NO. 3437/60
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: DUNKIRK... a name inscribed in the annals of military history as the site of one of the greatest rescue operations of all time. From its beaches - now filled with carefree holiday-makers - 330,000 battle-weary Allied troops were evacuated May 30-June 1, 1940, by an armada of assorted craft ranging from small fishing boats and sailing yachts, to pleasure paddle steamers and Royal Naval destroyers. This magnificent World War two achievement was accomplished despite uninterrupted aerial bombardment by German 'Stuka' dive bombers.
Today, twenty years after, the small French sea-port is being rebuilt. Completely devastated by the ferocious German attacks, Dunkirk is fast resuming its rightful place in French commerce. New buildings continue to rise from the rubble, and blocks of modern flats accommodate the influx of new citizens.
For many Dunkirk is a shrine. Relatives and friends of men killed fighting the heroic rearguard action, or blasted by bombs as they huddled defenceless on the sandy beaches, make an annual pilgrimage to the memorial and cemetery, both well-kept by grateful townspeople.