The alleged assassin of Philippines opposition leader Benigno Aquino, Rolando Galman, was buried on November 11 after a funeral procession which turned into a protest march against the government of President Ferdinand Marcos.
GV Rolando Galman funeral cortege (2 shots)
CU Women mourners (2 shots)
GV Funeral procession
CU PULL BACK TO SV Sign "Manila Memorial Park"
GVs Cortege going into the park (2 shots)
GVs & SVs Lawyers and physicians demonstrate (4 shots)
CU & GVs Demonstrators carrying banners (3 shots)
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: The alleged assassin of Philippines opposition leader Benigno Aquino, Rolando Galman, was buried on November 11 after a funeral procession which turned into a protest march against the government of President Ferdinand Marcos. Thousands of Aquino followers cheered the cortege as it passed through Manila's financial district of Makati, the centre of anti-government protests over the past two months. Clouds of confetti were cast at the funeral procession whose progress was marked by the sound of exploding firecrackers and car horns. The 5,000 demonstrators, mainly doctors, lawyers and other professionals, carried anti-government placards, many of which called for the resignation of President Marcos. Galman was said to have been killed by security guards moments after Aquino was shot at Manila airport on August 21. His body had been kept in a military mortuary until a week before the funeral when it was formally identified by his family. Police said at first he was a notorious criminal, but the military later alleged he was a communist guerrilla leader. Galman's family maintain he was just an ordinary farmer who had nothing to do with Aquino's killing.