Israelis gathered at the graveside of the founder of the Zionist movement, Dr.
1. SV People walking through cemetery 0.13
2. SVs People sitting and standing by graves (3 shots) 0.22
3. SV President Herzog and Prime Minister Shamir arriving at ceremony 0.28
4. GVs Congregation standing in silence as siren goes off in rememberance of dead. Soldier standing near eternal flame (5 shots) 0.57
5. SV President Herzog lays wreath 1.06
6. SV Shamir walks up and lays wreath 1.23
7. SV AND CU ZOOM OUT Soldier playing bugle at ceremony (2 shots) 1.44
8. GV Soldiers performing gun salute with Shamir and Herzog standing to attention 1.51
9. GV FIGHT SCENE Chairman of Knesset, Menachem Savidor, lights torch after finishing speech (SOT) 2.05
10. GV Crowds singing national anthem in stadium (2 shots) 2.34
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Israelis gathered at the graveside of the founder of the Zionist movement, Dr. Theodor Herzl, to commemorate Israel's Memorial Day on May 6. Herzl's body was exhumed from a cemetery in Vienna in 1949 and reburied in a rock tomb on a hill outside Jerusalem. Israeli President Chaim Herzog and Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir attended the memorial ceremony and stood in silence as a siren was let-off to commemorate Israelis killed in battle. Both Herzog and Shamir laid wreaths near the grave of Herzl and then stood to attention as a soldier played a bugle and guards performed a gun-salute. Later in the day, an Arab was among twelve Israelis to light a torch to honour the thirty-sixth anniversary of the state of Israel's independence. It was the first time an Arab had taken part in the ceremony. The Chairman of the Israeli Parliament (Knesset), Menachem Savidor, also took part in the torch-lighting ceremony. Independence Day is celebrated on May 7, the day after Memorial Day.
Source: NBC AND REUTERS - ELI FASTMAN