Soccer...and in Rome on Wednesday (17 February) world cup finalists Poland could only manage a 2-2 draw with Italian first division club Roma.
1. SV & GV Poland (in white) taking corner, Poland attacking, miss shot at goal 0.15
2. GV Roma attacking, cross, header goes over goal 0.25
3. GV Free kick to Poland, scores through defensive wall, with replay of goal (2 shots) 0.36
4. GV Roma takes corner, ball headed towards goal, keeper drops ball which is cleared off line by Polish defender 0.49
5. GV PAN Roma scores when Poland goalkeeper drops ball after free kick 0.56
6. SECOND HALF: GV Roma attacking, scoring from cross headed in by Roma forward 1.09
7. GV PAN Poland attacking and scoring with long shot from in front of goal 1.19
8. GV Roma scores when long drive from drive side missed by Polish keeper, and Roma forward scores off rebound 1.30
9. GV Roma attacking, but ball cleared by Polish defender 1.42
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: ROME, ITALY
Soccer...and in Rome on Wednesday (17 February) world cup finalists Poland could only manage a 2-2 draw with Italian first division club Roma. The Poles, in all-white, are on their first foreign tour since martial law was imposed in their homeland last December. Both sides scored early to be tied one-all at half time. The first goal followed a free kick to Poland which was converted by Boniek. The Italians then went on the offensive and after being turned out by the Polish defenders, Spinosi scored the first equaliser. In the second half, the tourists came under early pressure and a fine passage of play resulted in a goal with a cross-header from Roma's Pruzzo. In reply, Poland's Boniek scored his second goal to tie at two all. This was the second match in Italy for Poland's 19 strong world cup squad. They previously suffered a shock two-one defeat at the hands of third division club Modena last Thursday (11 February).