LODZ, POLAND/TBILISI, USSR
Poland's Widzew Lodz scored a significant win over English football champions Liverpool on March 2.
LODZ, POLAND/TBILISI, USSR
BBC: POLAND (Commentary)
1. GV Poland, playing in white shorts, score when No. 9 Tlokinski, shoots after mistake by goalkeeper Bruce Crobbelaar. 0.09
2. GV PAN Liverpool, playing in all red, attack and Ian Rush No. 5 volleys over the bar from close to the line. 0.17
3. GV Widzew Lodz attack and substitute Wraga heads ball into goal from edge of box in 80th minute. 0.28
4. GV PAN Polish players walk off field at end of game. 0.37
ORF: MOSCOW (EUROVISION RECORDING)
5. GV Dynamo Kiev, in white strip take free kick from outside box and kick ball past goal. 0.42
6. GV Kiev team attacks and striker shoots wide from inside penalty box. 0.46
7. SV & GV Hamburg, playing in all red, take corner and No. 10 Danish winger Lars Bastrup heads ball into goal from inside six yard line, in 5th minute. 0.57
8. GV Hamburg attack and Bastrup shoots low into goal in 50th minute. (2 SHOTS) 1.08
9. GV Hamburg take free kick and Bastrup heads home again from inside the box. (2 SHOTS) 1.22
SPORT: SOCCEREUROVISION RECORDINGNOTE TO EDITORS: THIS STORY HAS PART COMMENTARY (SEQS 1-4) BY BBC REPORTER DAVID CASS, WHICH MAY BE USED IF REQUIRED.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: LODZ, POLAND/TBILISI, USSR
Poland's Widzew Lodz scored a significant win over English football champions Liverpool on March 2. The match, played on the Polish team's home ground in Lodz was a first leg of the European Cup quarter final game. Liverpool, playing in all red held out for the first half, only to see Widzew open the scoring in the 48th minute when striker Tlokinski shot home after taking advantage of a goalkeeping error by Bruce Grobbelaar. The British team retaliated, and No. 5, Ian Rush, came close to scoring then he volleyed over the bar from an acute angle. The homeside then increased its lead when substitute Wraga scored from a long range header on the edge of the penalty box in the 80th minute. In the remaining time Liverpool attacked once more with shots by Rush and Whelan but could not prevent the Poles from finishing with a two-nil win. The West German team Hamburg, also had a first leg European Cup win over the Soviet Union's Dynamo Kiev on March 2 in Tbilisi. The home team, playing in white, started well, with two quick attacks, but they put the ball past the goalpost on both occasions. Hamburg opened the scoring in the 5th minute when Danish winger, Lars Bastrup, headed into goal from close range. Five minutes into the second half, No. 10 Bastrup, scored his second goal with a well placed shot low into the net. Hamburg's third and final goal was also scored by Bastrup, who netted with his second scoring header of the night. The West Germans left the pitch well pleased with a three-nil victory.
Source: BBC AND ORF