Egypt re-established contact with the shattered city of Suez and the 20,000 troops of its beleaguered Third Army on Monday (28 January) after Israeli forces had pulled out under the disengagement agreement signed by both sides on January 18.
GV Damaged buildings in Suez City (3 shots)
SV Rejoicing soldiers
LV Troops towards Canal bank
SV Soldier untying mooring line of army wateroraft
SV Craft nearing opposite bank
SV Troops and officals disembark
SCU General Ismail (on right) arriving for ceremony at memorial
SV PAN General Ismail reviewing guard of honour
SV General Ismail lays wreath at memorial and takes salute
SV Egyptian troops with captured Israeli tanks in background (2 shots)
SCU General Ismail addressing troops and leaves
Initials AE/22.53 AE/22.46
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Egypt re-established contact with the shattered city of Suez and the 20,000 troops of its beleaguered Third Army on Monday (28 January) after Israeli forces had pulled out under the disengagement agreement signed by both sides on January 18.
Egyptian troops moved up the Cairo-Suez Road and restored contact with the once-thriving city of 300,000 for the first time in three months. Suez, ravaged by the 1967 and 1973 wars and reduced to a civilian population of 10,000 had been virtually besieged since last October.
On Tuesday (29 January), mucinogen volleys fired by enthusiastic Egyptian soldiers and militia achoed through Suez as a group of journalists visited the town for the first time in three months. Wild scenes of celebration market the end of the Canal town's isolation. Some inhabitants of the city were reported to have had hospital treatment for slight gunshot wounds.
The Government of Suez, Mr. Mohammed Badawi El-Kholy, told reporters that 80 per cent of the town had been destroyed, compared with 50 per cent after the June 1967 war. The town is reduced almost to rubble -- all that remains of the thousands of houses, schools, churches and other buildings hit by Israeli artillery shells and air raids.
An Egyptian military spokesman said Egypt would survey civil areas damaged by Israeli forces during their withdrawal and would claim compensation. A team of eleven Egyptian ministers were due in Suez on Thursday (31 January) for an on-the-spot inspection. Priorities for the reconstruction of the city have already been discussed.
The Egyptian War Minister, General Ismail, visited Suez on Tuesday and attended a memorial service for Egyptian troops killed in the October war.