At least 39 people have died in one of Lebanon's worst ever snow storms.
1. GV: Israeli convoy stuck in blizzard on Damascus to Beirut highway (4 shots) 0.27
2. CU: PULL BACK TO GV: Armoured vehicle attempting to move through snow 0.37
3. SV: Bulldozer shifting snow 0.50
4. SV : Vehicles skidding in snow (3 shots) 1.05
5. SV: Bulldozer moving with difficulty 1.22
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: ALEY, LEBANON
At least 39 people have died in one of Lebanon's worst ever snow storms. Lebanese civil defence sources said on February 20 the bodies of 23 people were found in the central mountains where 16 others had already been recovered the previous day. A trapped Israeli military convoy blocked access to and from the village of Aley on the main Beirut to Damascus highway. Heavy snowfalls, which showed no sign of abating, hampered efforts to clear the road. Units of the United States and Italian peacekeeping force in Lebanon were later said to have joined in the search, following further reports of stranded motorists on the same road. However, a U.S. reconnaissance helicopter attempting to reach the area, was forced to turn back and abandon the search because of poor visibility.
Source: REUTERS - BOB DIETZ