Israeli jets shot down a Syrian airforce Mig fighter on Sunday (24 August) in the sixth successive day of military action in southern Lebanon.
GV Stronghold near Nabatiyeh damage. (3 SHOTS)
GV Journalist talking to commando officer PAN TO ruins. (2 SHOTS)
GV Ruined house PAN TO journalists.
LV Beaufort Castle.
GV Group of journalists.
GV Damaged buildings. (2 SHOTS)
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Israeli jets shot down a Syrian airforce Mig fighter on Sunday (24 August) in the sixth successive day of military action in southern Lebanon. A military spokesman in Damascus said the Syrian plane was lost in a dogfight with Israeli fighters, intercepted while strafing Palestinian positions and refugee camps in the south.
SYNOPSIS: The Palestine Liberation Organisation has been showing the extent of its fortifications in the south. This followed a claim by a rightist militia commander that his forces were in control of the approaches to Palestinian-leftist positions in the south. The journalists were shown destruction in the town of Kfar Tibnit, near the PLO stronghold of Nabatiyeh. The Palestinians said the damage had been caused by Israeli air raids earlier in the week. They said their troops had strongly resisted Israeli ground troops who had also attacked the area.
The PLO's political chief, Farouk Kaddoumi, says there are clear indications that Israel plans a major new attack in south Lebanon. He said he believed this would lead to another war in the Middle East. The PLO leader said the Israeli Prime Minister, Mr. Menachem Begin wanted to realise Israel's dream of annexing south Lebanon before he died. Farouk Kaddoumi said the recent spate of Israeli attacks in the south were a prelude to this.