The United States peace envoy to the Middle East, Mr.
GV EXTERIOR Foreign Ministry building 0.05
2. SV Philip Habib, U.S. envoy, with U.S. ambassador Alfred Atherton, walking into ministry 0.20
3. Cu Kamal Hassan Ali, Egyptian Foreign Minister, greeting Habib 0.29
4. SV Camera crews 0.31
5. SV Habib seated with Hassan Ali (2 shots) 0.40
6. SV Hassan Ali seated with Ashraf Gorbal, Egyptian ambassador to Washington (2 shots) 0.54
7. CU Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Raouf Gonheim speaking (English SOUND ON TAPE) 1.18
SPOKESMAN RAOUF GONHEIM (SEQ 8): "Mr. Habib informed the Minister about the American efforts to realise stability in Lebanon and to strengthen the national unity and to strengthen the security under the control of the legal Lebanese authorities on all Lebanese lands."
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: CAIRO, EGYPT
The United States peace envoy to the Middle East, Mr. Philip Habib, reported on his peace efforts in Lebanon to Egyptian Foreign Minister Kamal Hassan Ali on September 30. Mr. Habib arrived at the Egyptian Foreign Ministry in Cairo accompanied by Mr. Alfred Atherton, the U.S. ambassador to Egypt. The Egyptian delegation included Mr. Ashraf Gorbal, ambassador to Washington, alongside Mr. Hassan Ali. Mr. Habib described his lengthy negotiations in Lebanon, which produced the evacuation of the Palestinian guerrillas and the return of a multinational peacekeeping force to support the Lebanese Government in its efforts to bring stability to the country. According to Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Raouf Gonheim, Mr. Habib told the Egyptians that U.S. efforts in the area were designed to strengthen Lebanese unity and security "under the control of the legal Lebanese authorities".
Source: REUTERS - MOHAMAD FAHMI, REUTERS