The autonomy of the African Inland Churches was marked on Saturday (16 October) in the town of Machakos, 45 miles from Nairobi.
SV Sign across road 'Welcome Church Conference'
CU Sign pointing to Machakos
GV Crowd at Machakos
CU Vice-President Moi addresses crowd
GV Crowd (2 shots)
SV Moi speaking
SV Representatives from AIM & AIC
SV Mr. Mulwa hands over papers to Moi
SCU Norman Thomas hands over files to Mr Mulwa
GV Delegates sign papers (3 shots)
SV Crowd at ceremony
Initials ES. 1835 ES. 1847
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: The autonomy of the African Inland Churches was marked on Saturday (16 October) in the town of Machakos, 45 miles from Nairobi. The African Inland Mission was established in 1895, when a group of missionaries led by Peter Cameron Scott arrived in East Africa. By 1934 when the work started by the mission was expanded beyond kenya's borders into Tanzania, Uganda, and the Congo, it became known as the African Inland Church. The Church presently administers secondary schools, a theological college, hospitals, and a radio studio in Kenya. With the growth of its work, the Church is now becoming autonomous. It will have full control of its affairs, with the Mission now becoming a department in it. Officials of both organisations took part in the official celebrations.
SYNOPSIS: Delegates from many nations including Britain, the United States, Uganda, Tanzania, and the Central African Republic assembled in Machakos, Kenya, on Saturday to celebrate the autonomy of the African Inland Church from the mission.
Kenya's Vice-President Moi led the host delegation. The Church was established in 1934 when the work of the original African Inland Mission was expanded outside Kenya's borders.
Since then, the Church has assumed many educational and civic functions, and with its growth, the Church has been granted autonomy from the founding mission. To make the change official, Mr Norman Thomas, Field Secretary of the Mission handed over the property rights to Church leader Mr. W.E. Mulwa. The Mission will now become a department of the Church which has complete responsibility over its own affairs.