In Nigeria, Pope John Paul the Second appealed on Monday (15 February) to scientists to respect in their work the personal dignity, legitimate freedoms and moral and religious convictions of all men and women in the world.
1. GV Papal helicopter landing near chearing crowd 0.16
2. SCU Dais on verandah PULL BACK TO GV waiting crowd 0.21
3. SV Pope on open vehicle moving slowly through crowd 0.35
4. SCU Sign PULL BACK TO GV PAN ACROSS Crowd TO photographers and guards preceding Pope on foot; crowd watching (2 shots) 0.48
5. SV Seated crowd 0.50
6. GV Waving Pope moving to dais 1.05
7. GV PAN Seated nurses and nuns 1.10
8. SV Pope shaking hands with pro-chancellor of Ibadan university 1.17
9. SV Crowd watching 1.20
10. SV Pope speaking in English 1.57
11. SV PAN Costumed dancers 2.08
12. SV Pope presiding at Mass PAN TO communicants on steps 2.21
POPE JOHN PAUL: "Nigerian university people, intellectuals, scientists, and men and women of culture: as the Gospel we have just heard say, you are the salt of the earth, you are the salt of this earth. You must not lose your savour."
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: IBADAN, NIGERIA
In Nigeria, Pope John Paul the Second appealed on Monday (15 February) to scientists to respect in their work the personal dignity, legitimate freedoms and moral and religious convictions of all men and women in the world. He was addressing a crowd of tens of thousands on the campus of Ibadan university. The Pope paid tribute to Nigeria's university system, saying it permitted religious studies and provided facilities for different Christian denominations, as well as for Moslems. His audience included 10,000 students and university staff, members of the Oyo state government, leaders of non-Catholic Christian faiths, and local Moslem dignitaries. The same day the News Agency of Nigeria reported that police had seized an armed man at the National Stadium at Lagos before the Pope celebrated Mass there on Friday (12 February). At Ibadan university, Pope John had stood in a moving open vehicle similar to the one in which he was travelling when the assassination attempt was made against him last year.
Source: REUTERS - LATOLA FILMS