In 1938 Dusseldorf's synagogue was destroyed by Nazis celebrating their Munich coup of November 9th, 1922.
G.V. THE SYNAGOGUE IN THE ZIETHEN STRASSE.
S.V. PAN ONE OF THE WINDOWS.
L.T.V. THE ALTAR.
S.V. VIP'S SITTING DOWN.
C.U. ONE OF THE CONGREGATION.
S.V. THE ARCHITECT GIVING THE KEY TO MR. SEIRADZ ON THE ALTAR.
S.V. CARRYING IN THE THORA ROLLS.
S.V. HANDING THORA ROLLS TO RABBINER DR. ROTHSCHILD ST. GALLEN OF SWITZERLAND.
S.L.V. WOMAN IN THE CONGREGATION.
BACK V. PLACING THE ROLLS IN THE ENCLOSURE.
L.V. CLOSING THEM IN.
C.U. STAR OF DAVID ON THE CURTAIN.
C.U. PAN INSCRIPTION IN HEBREW.
G.V. INTERIOR OF THE SYNAGOGUE.
G.V. EXTERIOR OF THE SYNAGOGUE.
Initials D.C. M.R./R.L.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: In 1938 Dusseldorf's synagogue was destroyed by Nazis celebrating their Munich coup of November 9th, 1922.
Since the day of destruction nearly 20 years ago only a stone table has remained to mark the spot in Kasernenstrasse where the synagogue had stood for 35 years.
But on September 7th a new synagogue took its place. Designed by Frankfurt architect Herman Guttmann, it was consecrated by Swiss Rabbi, Dr. Rothschild.
Built in Ziethen-Strasse, it can accommodate 400. There are places for 150 women on the first floor.
It is the twelfth synagogue re-erected in Germany since the end of the war and also the biggest.