• Short Summary

    Manchester City dented Derby County's championship chances and enhanced their own with a well-merited 2-0 victory at Manchester's Maine Road football ground on Saturday (22 April).

  • Description

    GTV Manchester City in white shorts kicking left to right, launch unsuccessful attack, Lee dispossessed and Derby counter-attack (3 shots)

    SV & GTV Archie Gemmill beaten by Tower and passes to March (2 shots)

    SV & GV Marsh beats two defenders and scores (2 shots)

    SV Marsh congratulated by team mates

    GTV Marsh dribbles past six opponents and shot saved by goal-keeper

    SV Marsh

    MV Dorby goal-keeper

    TRANSCRIPT: COMMENTATOR: "At Maine Road, Derby in white and City in their traditional blue. This was City's last game of the season; they'd got to win this afternoon if they have any hope of taking the championship title. derby, of course, want to win, but it does definitely mean the title slipping from their graps of they lose. Now Derby on the attack. Archie Gemmill in possession, some 23 minutes or so gone in the first half. Gemmill, beaten by Towers, the ball comes through to Marsh, and here is one of the goals of the season. Magnificent shot by Rodney Marsh. That's why Malcolm Allison paid 200,000 Pounds for him. so, after 24 minutes, City led by one goal to nil. And Marsh nearly does it again before half time. This time, he's foiled by Boulton, the Derby goal-keeper. But Boulton was beaten once more in the match when Francis Lee scored a penalty to make the result Manchester City 2, Derby nile"

    Initials OS/2326 OS/2325

    This film, from the British Broadcasting corporation, is accompanied by a reporter's commentary, but we are providing an alternative commentary which editors may wish to use.

    Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

    Background: Manchester City dented Derby County's championship chances and enhanced their own with a well-merited 2-0 victory at Manchester's Maine Road football ground on Saturday (22 April). Despite a number of fouls, the game had plenty of good football to recommend it.

    City's Rodney Marsh gave his answer to the critics with a display worthy of the 200,000 Pound Sterling fee manager Malcolm Allison paid for him. In the 24th minute, he fastened on a pass from Towers and crashed home a fierce right-foot shot.

    In the second half, Francis Lee scored a penalty kick which made it 2-0.

    Towers was also in terrific form and few of the City men could be faulted for a match which saw them back to their early season best.

    SYNOPSIS: At Manchester's Maine Road on Saturday, Manchester City and Derby County met and at stake was a big chance at the championship title. City, kicking from left to right, launched an unsuccessful attack against Derby. But Francis Lee was dispossessed and Derby moved to counterattack. It was City's last game of the season -- and they had to win if they had any hope of taking the championship title. Derby also wanted to win, of course. It meant the title definitely slipping from their grasp if they lost.

    Some 23 minutes into the first half, Derby's Archie Gemmill was beaten for possession by Towers. And the ball came through to Marsh who scored a great goal. Marsh proved he was worth his 200,000 Pound Sterling price-tag. After 24 minutes, City was ahead one nil. But Marsh's next try was beaten by Derby goal-keeper Boulton.

    In the second half, City kept it up. And Derby's Bouton was beaten again. This time by Francis Lee who scored on a penalty-kick which gave City a two-nil win.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    Media URN:
    Reuters - Source to be Verified
    Issue Date:
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Time in/Out:

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment