In Senegal, delegates representing the country's Islamic Associations have gathered in Dakar for their second annual conference.
SV Senegal Prime Minister, Abdou Diouf, being welcomed
GV PAN Delegates seated in conference hall
MV Executive members of conference listening to speaker (2 shots)
MCU PAN Delegates listening
SV Executive members, including Abdou Diouf, listening.
MV Delegates listening to speakers (4 shots)
MV AND SV Delegates seated (2 shots)
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: In Senegal, delegates representing the country's Islamic Associations have gathered in Dakar for their second annual conference.
SYNOPSIS: Senegal's Prime Minister, M. Abdou Diouf, arrived at the conference centre for the opening ceremony of Friday (31 March). Delegates to the two day conference included Arab ambassadors to Senegal as well as representatives of the 15 members of the Federation. About 80 per cent of the Senegal population of five million are Muslims. The other 20 per cent is divided equally between Christians, mainly Roman Catholics, and those following traditional beliefs. The followers of Islam in Senegal belong to one of three brother-hoods.
Delegates heard M. Diouf refer to some of the changes that have taken place in Senegal recently, especially in the field of education. This included the introduction of the teaching of Arabic in secondary schools; the choice between Arabic and Latin in the sixth form as one of the obligatory classical languages, and the creation of an Arabic Department at Dakar University;s Faculty of Literature and Human Science. M. Diouf said these, and other changes that had taken place where proof of the active interest that Senegal was taking in spiritual power in general, and Islam in particular. At this years conference, one of the problems the delegates are trying to resolve is how to reorganise the Muslim calendar. In the past, the same religious events have been celebrated on different days -- so now a new, unified calendar is being proposed.