• Short Summary

    The British Tyler family, freed after nearly eight months as hostages of Ethiopian guerrillas, flew home to a family reunion in England on Sunday(9 January).

  • Description

    GV Khartoum airport, Sudan. (MUTE)

    SVs & CUs Tyler kidnap family with friends (4 shots) (MUTE)

    GVs Family arriving at Heathrow airport, London,U.K.,escorted by police and mobbed by newsmen (3 shots)

    GV Mr. Lindsay Tyler at news conference

    SCU Mr. Tyler speaking to newsmen

    GVs Tyler and family leaving airport (3 shots)

    "Well, our feelings went up and down a bit. There were some days we were depressed and through it was going on forever. Other days we realised that a lot of people were doing a lot and we were to try and get us out and we were more cheerful."

    "On that point Mr. Tyler, the Foreign Office have been criticised here."

    "I have no criticism whatsoever of the Foreign Office. I think results show that the line they took has been successful."

    The Tylers left afterwards for a family celebration at the home of Mrs. Tyler's sister, who recently broadcast a radio appeal on the BBC 's World Service urging the guerrillas to show companion. They had no immediate plans apart from reflexing with relatives and friends.


    Mr. Tyler said he was grateful to sudanese President Ja'afar al-Nimeiry, who was believed to be principally responsible for securing the Tylers' release form their captors, the Tigreen people's Liberation Front. The family were on a cattle-vaccinating expedition in the wilds of northern Ethiopia when they were captured.

    Initials BB

    Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

    Background: The British Tyler family, freed after nearly eight months as hostages of Ethiopian guerrillas, flew home to a family reunion in England on Sunday(9 January). They are Mr. Lindsay Tyler, a 34-year old veterinary surgeon, his wife Stephen, and their children Robert aged eight, and Sarah, five. The family has been living in the open desert since their capture in Ethiopia's Tigre province last May. They were freed on Wednesday (5 January), were taken to Khartoum, capital of neighbouring Sudan, the following day. The guerrillas had been holding which the British government consistently refused to pay.

    SYNOPSIS: The Tylers were seen off from Khartoum airport on Sunday by British ambassador Mr. John Phillips, his wife and children, and other friends. They stayed at Mr. Phillips' home after their release. Their flight home should have been a day earlier, but they were forced to stay an extra night in Khartoum because of a strike by baggage airport. Their flight out of Khartoum on Saturday(8 January) had been cancelled because of the non-arrival of an aircraft from London due to the strike. But it was all smiles when they finally departed.

    The Tylers' six-hour flight came in two hours late-- but they flew into a war welcome. Mr.Tyler's parents had arrived in a white Rolls-Royce hired by a provincial newspaper, and there were a number of other relatives to greet them.

    Mr. Tylers talked briefly to newsmen about the ordeal.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    Media URN:
    Reuters - Source to be Verified
    Issue Date:
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Time in/Out:

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment