• Short Summary

    While U.S. Presidential emissary General Alexander Haig arrived in the South Vietnamese capital of Saigon?

  • Description

    GV & MV Haig down steps of aircraft & greeted by officials (2 shots) (SILENT)

    MV, GVs & SVs South Vietnamese troops loading field guns in Cambodia border area & guns fired (11 shots) (NATSOF TO END)

    GVs Infantry troops across field (3 shots)

    GV & SV Civilians checked by troops (3 shots)

    Initials SGM/0207 SGM/0223

    SATELLITE TELERECORDING - original available on 573/73 and 574/73 98ft

    Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

    Background: While U.S. Presidential emissary General Alexander Haig arrived in the South Vietnamese capital of Saigon on Tuesday (January 16) for talks with leaders there, amid reported since of an and to the Vietnam war, South Vietnamese troops were continuing their fight on the Khmer Republic border in an effort to contain communist forces in the area. Vietcong infiltrators, according to news reports, were making a final attempt to seize more territory on the eve of a possible cease-fire -- while South Vietnamese troops pounded their suspected routes across the Khmer border with field artillery, backed up by infantry sweeps.

    General Haig, meanwhile, had two-hour talks with South Vietnamese President Nguyan van Thieu shortly after his arrival. Official sources said he handed General thieu a letter from President Richard Nixon, and then briefed South Vietnam's National Security Council on the outcome of the Paris Peace talks.

    The previous day, American bombing of North Vietnam was stopped -- leading to further speculation that peace could be close.

    SYNOPSIS: United States Presidential Emissery General Alexander Haig, who arrived in the South Vietnamese capital of Saigon on Tuesday, had two-hours of talks shortly afterwards with President Nguyan van Thieu -- leading to news reports speculating about an end to the Vietnam war. He also briefed the National Security Council on the Paris peace talks.

    But even as they spoke, the ground war continued. One battle took place at Tay Minh, a small settlement near the Khmer Republic border, as Government troops fought to contain communist infiltrators from across the frontier. The infiltrators, mostly Vietcong forces, were thought to be seizing as much territory as possible on the eve of a possible cease-fire. In an equally determined bid to stop them, South Vietnamese forces pounded suspected Vietcong infiltration routes with field artillery, and followed up with infantry sweeps.

    Government troops also continued their tight security on civilian movement. But in the air a cease-fire was already in effect, for American bombing of North Vietnam had been halted -- leading, to further speculative reports about a possible end to the war.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    Media URN:
    Reuters - Source to be Verified
    Issue Date:
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Black & White
    Time in/Out:

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment