14. To highlight the importance of good feeding for the family, the Women's Institutes of?
No available shotlist
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: 14. To highlight the importance of good feeding for the family, the Women's Institutes of Malaya recently held a countrywide cooking competition. Teams of Women's Institute members competed first in their own states, and then came to Kuala Lumpur for the finals. Each team was given $2 for a meal for 4 people, so naturally the marketing was a crucial part of the competition.
15. A housewife on the hunt for the best value for money is always something to be reckoned with -- but when a cook's pride is at stake - pity the stall-holder!
16. Everything had to be included in the $2, even salt and cooking oil. The meal was to be an everyday one - not a party one - and suitable for an ordinary working family of father, mother, a boy of 9 and a girl of 2.
17. Now they're back at the Bukit Bintang Girls' School to start work. And this is where the judges start their scrutiny, for good marketing is nearly half the victory. 30 marks out of a hundred were for the choice of foodstuffs: the meal had to be economical, balanced, of high nutritional value, and also fresh and palatable. Marks were given for proper preparation and cooking so that no food value was lost - vegetables and fruit should be prepared last - and quickly, for a nutritious meal should be prepared and cooked in as little time as possible. All these things are taken into account by the judges.
18. Anxious faces reveal the last stages....will it be all ready together?......did I put in too much salt?
19. And then they've finished. The four judges get busy again, one from each community and all nutrition experts. Taste and general appearance count of course, but not as much as the nutritional value of the meal, and its suitability for the particular family.
20. And there are the winners: Johore: with their winning meal of fish, vegetable soup, rice and special food for the girl of two. All at a cost of less than two dollars. Congratulations Johore of winning the Lady Templer cup from the hands of Puan Sharifah Rodziah!