The 1983 Paris to Dakar car rally has been won by the world endurance motor-racing champion, Jacky Ickx, and his co-driver Claude Brasseur.
1. GVs DAKAR Arrival banner and crowd milling around waiting for arrival of rally competitors (2 shots) 0.07
2. GV AND SVs Georges Fenouil (Number 101) on BMW motorcycle, arriving at Yoff Beach at end of rally, and being congratulated by team mate (4 shots) 0.22
3. GV AND SV Other motorcycle competitor arrives as crowd watches (2 shots) 0.32
4. CUs AND SV Winner Huber Auriol raising white flag after race (3 shots) 0.49
5. GV PAN SV Arrival of competitors in car rally (2 shots) 1.05
6. GV Car Number 280, driven by Jean Chambert and Rene Eiras (Toyota) 1.09
7. GVs Winners on board Land Rover in motorcade (2 shots) 1.18
8. GVs Drivers on top of vehicles (2 shots) 1.25
9. TVs AND SVs Winners Jacky Ickx and Claude Brasseur surrounded by crowds, shaking hands wit officials (3 shots) 1.44
SPORT: CAR RALLYAVAILABLE FOR COMMERCIAL SALE.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: DAKAR, SENEGAL
The 1983 Paris to Dakar car rally has been won by the world endurance motor-racing champion, Jacky Ickx, and his co-driver Claude Brasseur. They were driving a Mercedes 280GE. Winner of the motorcycle section was Frenchman Hubert Auriol on a BMW 980. Four hundred competitors set off on January the first from Place de la Concorde in Paris to cover the ten thousand gruelling kilometres over mountains and across deserts to the capital of Senegal. In one dramatic section crossing the Sahara, three motorcyclists were injured, two competitors overcome by exhaust fumes from their car, and several others hopelessly lost.
Source: CHEIKH DIENG