P R E S E N T A T I O N S
AT PENZANCE STATION.
P R E S E N T A T I O N S
Roll I 200 ft TX
Royal train arrives at Sand Street - Sir Edward Bolitho greets the Duke
AT GEEVOR TIN MINE the Duke goes with Changing House before going down mine
Walking shot - Duke in Miners Hat & overall walks to the the Pit Head.
Duke enters Cage. Shots of Men working in the sorting & crushing sheds of the MINE.
Roll 2 TX
General Views of Mine Head
Duke comes up from Mine.
In different overall Duke enters the Crushing Sheds & sees the various crushing & washing processes.
General Views of the Mine-head
Several view of MELBUR CLAY PIT.
Roll 3 PX
Shots in Clay Pit showing men working Monitor House which washed the Clay from the Cliff Face
Duke comes down in Jeep into Clay Pit - Crosses stream of Clay & works the Monitor.
Shots of Duke in Clay Pit
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: P R E S E N T A T I O N S
AT PENZANCE STATION.
Received by Colonel Sir Edward Bolitho (Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall), who will present:- Sir John G. Carew Pole (Vice Lieutenant of Cornwall), Mr. S.T. Peak (Mayor of Penzance), who will present:- Mr. N.J.L. Brodrick (Recorder of Penzance), Mrs. S.T. Peak (Mayoress), Mr. E.O. Wheale (The Town Clerk), Mr. J.F.W. Bennett (The Deputy Mayor), Mr. G. Edwards, Mr. W.G. Rowe, Mr. B.D. Stevenson, Mr. F.G. Ford (Aldermen), Mr. S.W. Pennell, Miss A.U. Chirgwin, Mr. M.E. Rowe, Mr. J.S. Stephens.
The Lord Lieutenant will then present:- Mr. Greville Howard (Member of Parliament St. Ives Division), Mr. P.G.T. Kingsley (Secretary of the Duchy of Cornwall), Mr. R.B. Matthews (Chief Constable of Cornwall), and three Railway Officials.
AT GEEVOR MINE.
The Lord Lieutenant will present:- Mr. W.H. Rowe (Chairman St. Just Urban District Council), Mr. G.W. Simms (Chairman Geevor Tin Mines Limited), who will present:- Mr. J.H. Rennetts, Mr. G.B. Pearce (Directors Geevor Tin Mines Limited), Mr. D.C.L. Stevens (Secretary Geevor Tin Mines Limited), Mr. F. Lyde Caunter (President The Cornish Mining Development Association), Mr. C. Waite (Chairman and Managing Director Consolidated Tin Smelters Limited), Mr. J.H. Rich (Chairman Tronoh Mines Limited), Colonel G.A. Whitworth (Principal Camborne School of Metalliferous Mining).
AT THE MINERS CHANGE-HOUSE.
Mr. G.W. Simms will present:- Mr. A.D. Bennetts (Chief Surveyor Geevor Tin Mines Limited).
AT MINE SHAFT.
Mr. G. W. Simms will present:- Mr. H. Grenfell (Underground Manager Geevor Tin Mines Limited).
Party to go underground:
H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh, Wing Commander H. Chinnery, Lt. Gen. Sir F.A.M. Browning, Detective, Sir John Carew Pole, Mr. G.W. Simms, Mr. J.H. Bennetts, Mr. H.P. Grenfell.
AT 12th LEVEL STATION:
Mr. G.W. Simms will present:- Mr. J.B. Wall (Shift Boss).
AT 15th LEVEL SHAFT STATION:
Mr. G. W. Simms will present:- Mr. C.W. May, Mr. R.J. Eddy (Underground Shift Bosses).
DURING INSPECTION OF THE SURFACE PLANT, Mr. G.W. Simms will present:- Mr. J.B. Wall (Chief Engineer Geevor Tin Mines Limited), Mr. T.E. Collins (Mill Manager Geevor Tin Mines Limited), Mr. F.B. Michell (Consultant Metallurgist), Mr. R.O. Stokes (Designer of the Mill), Mr. C.W. Nippard (Transport & General Workers Union Shop Steward).
AT TIN YARD. Mr. G.W. Simms will present:- Mr. A. Reynolds (Tin Yard Foreman), Mr. H.J. Trelease (Oldest Employee).
AT TRELUGGAN MANOR FARM.
The Lord Lieutenant will present:- Mr. J.B. Stanier (Duchy Land Steward), who will present:- Mr. W.J. Badcock, Mr. R.A. Badcock (his son) (Joint Tenants), Mrs. N. Burke (his daughter).
AT TRELUGGAN FARM.
The Land Steward will present:- Mr. and Mrs. P. Mingo (The Tenants).
AT MELBUR CLAY PIT.
The Lord Lieutenant will present:- Mr. M. Petherick (High Sheriff of Cornwall), Mr. Geoffrey Wilson (Member of Parliament Truro Division), Mr. B.L. Brown (Chairman St. Austell Rural District Council), Sir John Keay (Chairman and Managing Director English China Clays Limited) who will present:- Lord Aberconway (Deputy Chairman),, The Earl of Morley, Mr. W.O. Meade-King, Mr. Hart Nicholls, Mr. G.T. Hillyar, Mr. A.E. Grieve (Directors of English China Clays Limited), Mr. S. Rowley (Secretary English China Clays Limited), Mr. N.O. Clark, Mr. H.A. Jane.
GEEVOR TIN MINE. The mine employs some 300 workers - over half of them underground. Twenty Poles and twenty-three Italians work underground. The mine was visited by the Duke of Kent during the last war.
Last year 66,041 tons of tin ore were extracted from Geevor, and 63,281 tons were milled. Some 8,601 feet of workings were developed last year.
The Geevor mine lease was probably first worked in the days of the Phoenicians, and it has been established that parts of the mine were being worked in 1791. It became known as the Geevor mine in 1911, and the Victory shaft was commenced in 1920.
Width of lodes varies from four inches to three feet, with an average of 15 inches to 18 inches at the present time.
The main shaft - the Victory shaft - has been sunk to a depth of 1,549 feet, being 1,227 feet below Ordnance Datum.
It is proposed that H.R.H. should descend to the 12th level, where a development end may be inspected on the North Lode West. This end is near the shaft, and is connected to it by a crosscut. There will be operating a Holman Silver Three drifter, mounted on a Holman single-boom hydraulic drilrig. These machines will be using drill steel-tipped with tungsten carbide.
In a nearby heading an Eimco rocker-shovel loader will be mucking the broken ore from the previous day's blasting. The broken ore will be elevated by this loader into one-ton capacity trams which will be hauled away by a battery locomotive. The trams will be taken to a point near the shaft where the ore will be tipped through a grizzly and into the main ore pass of the mine.
The 12th level is one of the main haulages in the mine, and broken ore from the various stopes on the 12th level is hauled by battery locomotive to this main ore pass grizzly.
The broken ore from the levels above also gravitate through the main ore pass. This flow of ore is controlled by transfer chutes which are installed on the 12th, 13th, and 14th levels.
After inspecting the workings on the 12th level, it is proposed to return to the shaft and descend to the 14th level. It is at this horizon that the ore gravitates from the ore pass into the shaft orebin and thus to the loading station where it is fed into the skips and raised to the surface.
It is next proposed to descend to the 15th level, which is the deepest level in the mine, being 1,433 ft. below the collar of the shaft.
The lodes in the mine are developed at 100 ft. vertical intervals along the strike of the lode. A connection is then made from one level to the level above. The extraction of the ore between these two levels is then obtained by stopping above the lower level up to a height of 50 ft. This is known as overhand stoping. The remaining 50 ft. of ore is extracted by stoping below the upper level. This is known as underhand stoping.
There is an overhand stope on the 15th level, and it is proposed to visit this stope where a two man stoping crew will be working. They will be operating a Holman Rock Drill.
TRELUGGAN MANOR FARM. Treluggan is a dairy farm in the parish of Gerrans. It has been a Duchy of Cornwall Manor since 1540, but its earlier history dates to the time of King Edward the Confessor, when it was held by Aluric, a landowner. Under the Normans Treluggan became part of the possessions of the Count of Mortain, and later it became part of the lands of Courtenay of Boconnoc. When Henry Courtenay, Marquis of Exeter, was attainted and executed by Henry VIII. it came into the hands of the Crown, and an exchange was made with the Duchy for the honour of Wallingford. The barton of Treluggan was then held by a branch of the Trevanions of Carhayes. It is now farmed by Mr. W. J. Badcock and his son, and is noted for a fine herd of Guernseys. At the time of Domesday (about 1086) the manor had a high proportion of pasture.
MELBUR CLAY PIT. The Melbur China Clay pit was started in 1875 by the North and Rose Company who worked it until 1915 when it was acquired by Messrs. Walter and Wilfred Sessions who formed the Melbur China Clay Company. English China Clays acquired that company in 1920. The Melbur China Clay Company owned only half of that particular hole in the ground. The other half, known as the Burgotha section, was opened in 1913 by the Martin Brothers Company, who operated it until the amalgamation with English China Clays. Production was then 150 tons a week, and the mine employed about 40 men.
By 1920, with the installation of electric pumps, the output rose to 350 tons a week, and by 1926 output was 400 to 450 tons a week. In 1946 a development programme was started, and this resulted in increasing the output to 1,500 tons, the level at which it now stands.
Some 60 men are employed at the Melbur Pit. It covers 28 acres, with the pit bottom 220 ft. below the surface.
The Burgotha section produces potting clay, and the Melbur section produces paper and filling clay. The men work in three shifts and the pit is only closed from 9 p.m. on Saturday to 9 p.m. on Sunday.
FLOODLIT FOOTBALL MATCH.
The match at St. Blazey between a Cornwall XI. and a Combined Services team is the first County match that a member of the Royal Family has attended. Improvements have been made to the ground and a Royal Box has been built for the occasion. The match has been arranged by the Cornwall County Football Association, and the proceeds will be given to the Cornish Branch of the National Playing Fields Association. The Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall is President of the Cornwall Branch.