In South Vietnam, two Vietnamese soldiers were killed and eleven wounded in an explosion on Sunday (February 8) in an area where a huge cache of Viet Cong arms and ammunition was uncovered late last week.
SV&LV Troops advancing
SV Troops PAN TO weapons (2 shots)
SCU PAN TO Boody trap, with soldiers above
SV Soldiers around medical unit, PAN ALONG TO wounded being treated (2 shots)
SV Wounded soldier
SV&SCU Soldiers and wounded through jungle (2 shots)
SV Troops carrying captured weapons to forward base (5 shots)
SV PAN TO Soldiers in forward base
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: In South Vietnam, two Vietnamese soldiers were killed and eleven wounded in an explosion on Sunday (February 8) in an area where a huge cache of Viet Cong arms and ammunition was uncovered late last week. The area is known as "War Zone D" -- 46 miles northeast of Saigon in Long Khanh Province.
Reports said the South Vietnamese casualties occurred when a booby trap on an ammunition cache exploded.
Cameramen were filming the arrival of part of the arms cache at a forward base when they learned of an explosion at the original site of the cache. Our cameraman was allowed to visit the site and filmed the medical evacuation of the dead and wounded.
The area around the arms cache was said to be heavily booby-trapped.
In all, the South Vietnamese troops seized 3,000 rifles and 25 tons of ammunition. It was one of the biggest hauls of viet Cong weapons in the war. Enough weapons and ammunition to arm four Viet Cong battalions were unearthed.
The munitions -- in six well-camouflaged caches -- were discovered by South Vietnamese Special Forces troops on a security patrol during the Tet Lunar New Year truce. Four main dumps were both above the ground and concealed in underground bunkers.