The British Editor of a Buenos Aires newspaper who says he is getting out of Argentina because of threats against his and his family, is due to leave for England on Saturday (16 December).
GV ZOOM INTO SV: R Robert Cox seated at desk scattered with letters and reading threatening letter
CU: Buenos Aires Herald newspaper on table PULL OUT TO SV Cox talking on telephone
CU: Paper on desk PULL OUT TO GV Cox talking to journalists
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: The British Editor of a Buenos Aires newspaper who says he is getting out of Argentina because of threats against his and his family, is due to leave for England on Saturday (16 December). Mr Robert Cox, the editor of the Buenos Aires Herald, decided to leave last month after receiving a letter addressed to his ten year old son. The letter suggested that Mr Cox, his wife and five children should take the option of exile because of the risk of being murdered by the Argentine government headed by President Jorge Videla.
SYNOPSIS: The handwritten letter was purported to be from the left-wing Peronist Montoneros guerrillas but Mr Cox is convinced it's a fake. He said the letter was only the latest in a series of threatening phone calls to his newspaper, strange visits to his home and calls to his friends. Mr Cox has edited the Herald since 1969. The paper consistently supports human rights campaigns but condemns guerrilla violence.
In April 1977, Mr Cox was detained for 24 hours after the Herald published an account of a Montonero press conference held in Rome. Under a decree that has since been repealed, Argentine newspapers were forbidden to print stories from abroad relating to Argentina. He was cleared of the charge nine months later.
Last year, Mr Cox received the inter American Press Association's award for services to the community and Queen Elizabeth decorated him for his courage and integrity as a journalist. Originally from Ealing in London, Mr Cox will spend a year's leave in England.