A military tribunal in Cairo sentenced five defendants to death for their part in the assassination last October of President Anwar Sadat.
1. GV/SV PAN Guards outside court house (2 shots) 0.08
2. GV INTERIOR Prisoners shouting from inside a cage in courtroom 0.28
3. LV Newsmen and public seated in court 0.32
4. SV ZOOM TO CU PAN Prisoners holding banners and placards (2 shots) 1.02
5. SV Prisoners chanting 1.10
6. SV PAN Officials seated as officer reads out sentences in separate room 1.26
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: CAIRO, EGYPT
A military tribunal in Cairo sentenced five defendants to death for their part in the assassination last October of President Anwar Sadat. The reading of the verdicts and the sentenced by a Military Judge were delayed on Saturday (6 March) for more than three hours. The chanting of the 24 defendants in the trial and a power failure forced a move in the court proceedings to a nearby hall. Seventeen of the accused were given prison terms ranging from five to 15 years and two were acquitted. The original court room was cleared after military police failed to silence the defendants who chanted Islamic slogans from inside an iron cage.
Source: REUTERS - BOB DIETZ