• Short Summary

    FA Cup semi-finals - Manchester United beats Birmingham City 2-0.

  • Description

    Sheffield, Yorkshire.

    Start of the FA (Football Association) Cup semi-final match between Manchester United and Birmingham City. GV. Birmingham, in hooped stockings, have kicked off. A pass back to Trevor Smith who sends a long one down the middle. LV. Birmingham forward shoots from just outside the penalty area. Ray Wood collects safely and runs and kicks up-field. SV. Gill Merrick waiting in his goal. LV. The ball is slipped out to John Barry who receives it and starts to head for goal. Ken Green challenges him but he beats him and starts to cut inside towards the penalty area, while everybody stands waiting for the pass. Barry, although challenged again by Green, shoots left-footed, past Merrick, ball in net. Manchester one up. GV. Crowd cheering. LV. David Pegg out on the left wing trying to get in and tries to cross the ball into the goal mouth but Jeff Hall blocks it. Pegg retrieves it and tries to centre again but this time Johnny Watts blocks it. It is loose again and Pegg slips it in to Bobby Charlton who is standing on the penalty area. Charlton slams the ball into the Birmingham net to make Manchester United two up. Pan to happy players. GV. Crowd cheering. LV. Birmingham taking a corner on the left wing and Alex Govan kicks. Ball comes along the ground into the goal area where Roy Warhurst tries one. It goes through where Eddie Brown, with only Wood to beat, muffs his chance. CU. Boy in crowd has his hat pushed over his eye. GV. Birmingham taking a corner from the right, comes into the goal mouth and Wood jumps to collect it. LV. Wood in the air grabs the ball, falls to the ground heavily and gets up with the ball. He drops it and a Manchester player takes it and clears up-field. GV. Stretcher and ambulance men round him in foreground. GV. United on the move again. The ball comes through to Pegg who slips it through to Billy Whelan who runs onto it just inside the Birmingham penalty area. He is challenged but manages to slip his man. CU. Whelan cutting in - shoots past the advancing Merrick and the ball hits the post and runs across the goal.

    United forward puts it back across the goal mouth where Whelan heads just wide of the posts. CU. Man in crowd holds his brow. SV. Birmingham having been awarded a free kick. Kicks from the right hand side of the field and it sails into the Manchester goal area. All head up as the ball is put across to Noel Kinsey. Kinsey lobs it over the heads of everybody. Ball is defected against a Manchester upright with Wood beaten, but it is scrambled away. Final score - Manchester United 2, Birmingham City 1.


  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    Media URN:
    Pathe newsreels
    British Pathé
    Issue Date:
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Black & White
    Time in/Out:
    01:40:05:00 / 01:41:45:00

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment